- Right click an empty spot on the desktop.
- In the context menu, select New>> Shortcut.
- In the Create Shortcut wizard, where it asks you to type the location of the item, type the following: shutdown -s -t 00 (for shutdown), shutdown -r -t 00 (for restart) or shutdown -l -t 00 (for logoff). You will now have the option of naming this icon.
- Click Next.
- You can now change the icon to something other than the default. Just right click your new desktop icon and choose Properties.
- Select the ‘Change Icon…’ button while inside the ‘Shortcut’ section.
- Choose from any of the icons listed and apply the change